Sheffield S1 | Pond Street
The images above are taken looking north along Pond Street to where it becomes Flat Street. Pond Street along with Pond Hill and Ponds Forge take the ‘Pond’ part of their name after the area in which they are located. As far back as 1575 there were water powered works and the area became known as Ponds because of the number of ponds that had been built for local industry. That the word ponds should have been used instead of dams seems odd, but perhaps before the works were furnished with artificial reservoirs there were natural ponds, or manorial fish ponds**
ABOUT SHEFFIELD S1: A series of photographs of Sheffield city centre streets empty of people*, cars and traffic. Click the links below to view other images in the series:
*No pedestrians were harmed in the taking of these photographs
**Information courtesy of Sheffield Libraries, Archives and Information.