Sheffield S1 | High Street
Photograph taken from Castle Square tram stop, looking west along The High Street toward Church Street and the Cathedral.
Central in the photograph is Kemsley House, a Grade II listed building named after Gomer Berry the 1st Viscount of Kemsley. Opened in 1913, with it’s distinctive white brickwork and clock tower it was instantly recognisable as a landmark building. It is known locally to most people as the Star and Telegraph building and is currently the headquarters of the Sheffield Star newspaper.
In 1940 during the blitz many buildings on the south side of High Street were devastated by German bombing. On the corner of Fitzalan Square one of the buildings destroyed was Marples Hotel and 70 people lost their lives.
This photograph was taken at Castle Square which from 1967-1994 was the location of subterranean walkways, escalators, shops and a huge fish tank! Officially this was Castle Square but locally it was affectionately called ‘The Hole in The Road’. In 1994 the hole in the road was filled with rubble from Hyde Park Flats to facilitate the building of the Supertram network.
ABOUT SHEFFIELD S1: A series of photographs of Sheffield city centre streets empty of people*, cars and traffic. Click the links below to view other images in the series:
*No pedestrians were harmed in the taking of these photographs